Welcome to New Vienna, Iowa! “The eNVy of Iowa.” New Vienna has a population of 400 and was founded in 1843. Early in the 1830’s, this area was called “Wilson’s Grove” and was settled by the English who left after a few years. Bishop Matthias Loras invited the people from Europe to settle to the area. With assistance from the Emperor of Austria, this area was settled by German people and in honor of Austria’s help, it was renamed New Vienna.