In 1852 George M. Earl came to what is now named Earlville. Earl, his wife and family settled near a heavily wooded area near a spring. Earlville was originally known as Nottingham, after a stockholder in the railroad. The government later changed the name to Earlville because of conflict with another community with the name of Nottingham. Earlville is located just off of Highway 20 in Delaware County.