Located 9 miles northwest of Dyersville, on the rich prairie lands the first settlers avoided because they erroneously believed the land to be sterile, is the small community of Petersburg.
The Catholic Church in Petersburg had its beginning on March 25, 1867. During this same time the little hamlet of Petersburg grew into a village. A store and saloon were started directly south of the present church grounds by Peter Domeyer. Barney Sassen and Henry Niemann from Illinois opened a country store directly east of the present school. In the following spring Mr. Philip Hense began a blacksmith shop and Mr. Henry Niemann assumed the making of wagons.
Though the community remains unincorporated, it is home to many residents and businesses.
Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic Church 1625 300th Ave. 563-875-7992
Hennesy Catholic Catholic School System (Grades 1-6) Petersburg
Chamber Member Businesses
Knipper Auto & Tire 2998 160th St. Dyersville, IA 52040 563-875-6432
Petersburg Community Center / Harter Hall 3031 160th Street Dyersville, IA 52040 563-875-8730 Catering to all your needs from weddings to reunions to dances and more!
The Big House
3001 160th Street
Dyersville, IA 520401
1100 16th Ave Ct SE, Dyersville, IA 52040 (P)563-875-2311 (F)563-875-8391 (T)1-866-DYERSVILLE [email protected]